Los Alamos County
JOB TITLE: Senior Librarian
JOB TYPE: Regular
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: Community Services-Library (Community Engagement)
SALARY: Range is $60,076-88,559.38/annually
OPENING DATE: September 9, 2019
CLOSING DATE: October 7, 2019
ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: 20028
Notice to All Applicants
The Los Alamos County Human Resources Division requires that you complete an application with an original signature for each position for which you apply. The Human Resources Division will not accept your application if it is not complete and will not accept a resume in lieu of an application. The information from your resume will not be used to determine if the minimum qualifications are met. All qualifying information must appear on the application.
The hiring salary is based upon relevant education and experience at or beyond the minimum qualifications.
Los Alamos Public Library System is looking for a dynamic, innovation librarian to be our Community Engagement Librarian. This newly created senior level position leads our efforts to develop, market, and deliver, innovation programs and services to meet community needs.
The Los Alamos County Library System welcomes applicants with public library experience, strong interpersonal and communication skills, and experience building multi-partner collaborations. The Community Engagement Librarian will collaborate with others to identify community needs, develop strategic programming goals and evaluate programs for effectiveness. This librarian will create and lead the programming team, supervise one library specialist and volunteers, write and manage grants, and market library programs and services including managing the library website and overseeing the library’s social media presence.
Los Alamos County is a small community that possesses a world-wide reputation for scientific and technological development. Community life features small-town living with friendly neighbors, low crime and an excellent school system. Cultural and recreational opportunities abound, with plenty of hiking and biking trails, skiing at the local Pajarito Ski Resort, and visits to nearby Valles Caldera National Preserve and Bandelier National Monument.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Library, Library and Information Science, Humanities or a related field.
- Four years’ library experience.
- Must successfully complete pre-employment physical exam prior to commencing work.
- Successful completion of Need to Know training within one year of employment.
- If primary task includes Youth Services, must successfully complete a thorough background investigation.
Additional Qualifications for Senior Librarian:
- Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Library Science or Library and Information Science.
- Additional year of library experience, including experience managing a budget.
- Two years of supervisory experience.
- Experience in building and leading teams.
- Valid New Mexico driver’s license.
Under general supervision of the Library Manager or Assistant Library Manager, oversees the operations of one or more specialty library services, and performs a range of complex and specialized library tasks requiring a high level of professional expertise and customer service skills. Provides guidance, leadership, and coordination to library services staff in areas such as circulation, reference, web and electronic services, youth services, systems administration, and materials cataloging, acquisition and processing, community engagement and program development. Participates in the development of operating policies and procedures, systems to maintain records, and quality standards. Maintains confidentiality of all privileged information.
The general level and nature of this position are described in the headings below. This is not an all- inclusive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel in this classification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of library cataloging rules and procedures.
- Knowledge of library check-in and check-out procedures.
- Knowledge of library electronic services.
- Knowledge of applicable regulatory agencies, codes and standards.
- Knowledge of library principles, practices, and terminology.
- Knowledge of Dewey Decimal Systems and on-line integrated library systems.
- Knowledge of systems administration.
- Skill in providing excellent customer service.
- Skill in the use of automated library systems and other relevant automated database systems.
- Skill in operating business computers and office machines, including in a Windows environment, specifically, Library Information System.
- Skill in the use of library resources.
- Skill in records maintenance.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to conduct detailed internet searches.
- Ability to plan, execute and evaluate programs.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to greet the public in a courteous manner and to obtain and provide appropriate information.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to follow oral and written instruction.
- Ability in managing children/teens as appropriate during library programs and events to ensure compliance with the library code of conduct.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities for Senior Librarian:
- Skill in budget preparation and fiscal management.
- Skill in project management and leadership.
- Ability to identify and assess business needs and coordinate effective operating and systems solutions.
- Knowledge of community engagement principles.
- Knowledge of marketing best practice.
- Ability to deliver presentations/programs to a variety of groups and officials.
- Ability to develop and add content to website including basic understanding of html.
- Program evaluation experience.
- ILS system administration and database maintenance experience.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Supervises personnel and volunteers including work allocation and prioritization, training, performance evaluation and management; motivates employees to achieve high performance, creates and fosters a team-oriented and collaborative work environment.
- Manages daily operations of the area of responsibility, adhering to regulations and assisting in resolving problems related to the day-to-day operations.
- Participates in development, implementation and maintenance of policies, objectives, short-and long-range planning; develops and implements projects and programs to assist in accomplishment of established goals.
- Develops, organizes, promotes, markets, schedules, implements and evaluates programs and events.
- Leads and coordinates projects of significant complexity.
- Implements and maintains service quality and productivity standards.
- Analyzes patrons' requests to determine needed information and assist in furnishing or locating that information. Teaches library patrons to search for information using resources.
- Provides customer service throughout the library as well as ensures excellence in customer service within a program through developing standards, training, etc.
- Serves as resource for employees, answers questions, problem solves, and adjusts work schedules.
- Directs the weeding and selection duties for assigned areas.
- Oversees the selection, acquisition, and monitoring of online databases.
- Recommends program budget for assigned area, determines appropriate expenditures and adheres to program budget.
- Finalizes the selection and disposition of assigned books for purchase within budget guidelines.
- Serves as a liaison with various individuals inside and outside the library system.
- Coordinates schedule changes and computer support to other staff.
- Composes explanatory summaries of contents of books and other reference materials.
- Conducts reference searches, using printed materials and in-house and online databases.
- Ensures the proper integration of multiple servers, workstations, and terminals, with existing computer systems, including upgrading software, troubleshooting and resolving technical issues, resolving hardware communication issues and escalating technical issues as necessary.
- Coordinates with vendors to get information about pricing and availability of goods and services.
- Manages public internet access and library instruction services, contributes to library website.
- Initiates collection maintenance activities and projects, including electronic collections.
- Reviews subject matter of materials to be classified and selects classification numbers and headings according to classification systems.
- Ensures staff members develop their skills for using existing and emerging library technologies and instructing patrons on their usage as needed.
- Assists with the development and implementation of reporting procedures; oversees maintenance of records and/or inventories.
- Promotes library collection and services.Leads efforts to provide excellent advisory services to patrons.
- Ensures strict confidentiality of library records.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by conducting research; attending and presenting seminars, educational workshops, classes and conferences; reviewing professional publications; establishing networks; participating in professional societies; conferring with representatives of contracting agencies and related organizations.
- Contributes to a team effort and accomplishes related results as required.
- Performs other duties as required.
Additional Essential Duties and Responsibilities for Senior Librarian:
- Provides oversight of system administration to keep the Integrated Library System operational with minimum interruption.
- Provides oversight and technical guidance of library areas such as acquisitions, cataloging, public services, engagement with the community including outreach, program development and marketing.
- Recommends, develops, implements and evaluates library services, such as outreach and programming effectiveness.
- Develops assessment tools for various library functions or services such as library collection and weeding process, community needs and priorities, outreach and programming effectiveness.
- Performs regular maintenance on and resolves and troubleshoots problems with the Integrated Library System.
- Coordinates and participates in Integrated Library System upgrades and training.
- Oversees Library electronic services, including the wireless system, public internet access and kiosks. Ensures that the public has access to the internet, including ensuring the Library has the necessary equipment, software, bandwidth, etc. to meet the public’s needs.
- Communicates and coordinates with the Information Technology Division as necessary.
- Responds to and resolves escalated issues with the Library network.
- Coordinates and creates content to the library’s web site.
- Serves on the library’s management team – which addresses complex issues of budget and policy.
- Coordinates volunteer program including record keeping.
- Applies community engagement principles to develop relationships with local and regional organizations and deliver innovative library programming and services
- Leads professional development for staff on best practices for engagement and outreach
- Researches, writes and manages grants.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, walk and stand. The employee regularly uses manual and finger dexterity and visual acuity to complete tasks. The employee routinely uses a full range of mobility in upper and lower body; reaches overhead; works in various positions, including stooping, standing, bending over, sitting, kneeling and squatting for extended periods of time. The employee must be able to lift, pull and push materials and equipment to complete assigned job tasks; and be able to lift 50 pounds with the assistance of equipment or another person.
Work is performed in a library environment with a moderate noise level, occasionally working under stressful conditions and for extended periods of time. This position routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones and photocopiers. Evening, holiday, and weekend work outside of normal business hours may be required as well as travel and attendance at meetings.
Each and every county position requires the following professional skills and abilities as key and necessary elements of performance. Employees are required to:
- Demonstrate regular and reliable attendance;
- Work well with others and participate fully in a team-oriented environment;
- Interface with other employees and customers in a courteous and respectful manner;
- Project positive support of their department and all county organizations at all times; and,
- Maintain and enhance the county’s commitment to customer service excellence.
How to Apply:
Apply online at http://www.losalamosnm.usor give us a call at 505-662-8040 for questions.
If you are an individual with a disability who is in need of an auxiliary aid or service to participate in the examination process, notify the Human Resources Division at (505)662-8040 at the time of application. Some documents can be provided in accessible formats. Contact Human Resources at the above number if an accessible format is needed.
Applications become a public record upon receipt and may be made available for public inspection.
The Incorporated County of Los Alamos does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in employment or the provisions of service.
LOS ALAMOS COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER