Position Available: Health Sciences Librarian
Department: Cline Library
Special Information (This section includes information such a notation if the position is subject to the availability of funding, the location of the position if other than the Flagstaff Campus, and tenure track eligibility).
This position is situated in the Arizona Health Sciences Library – Phoenix (AHSL), a joint-use facility of Northern Arizona University (NAU) and the University of Arizona (UA) that serves the students and faculty of graduate programs offered by the NAU College of Health and Human Services at the Phoenix Biomedical Campus and the UA College of Medicine-Phoenix. The candidate must be willing to travel occasionally to the NAU Flagstaff campus.
This is a full-time, 12-month Academic Professional position eligible for continuing status. Candidates’ application materials should address how they meet the position requirements.
NAU Cline Library seeks a self-motivated, creative, collaborative, and knowledgeable Health Sciences Librarian. Reporting to the Head of Teaching, Learning, and Research Services at NAU Cline Library, the librarian will develop NAU Cline Library's resources and services at the AHSL-Phoenix while functioning as part of an inter-institutional library team under the direction of the AHSL-Phoenix Library Director.
The Health Sciences Librarian will coordinate and deliver library services to the NAU programs located at the Health Sciences Education Building (HSEB) in Phoenix. The collaborative facility accommodates degree programs offered by the NAU College of Health and Human Services and the UA College of Medicine-Phoenix, as well as other educational, research, and clinical activities.
The position focuses on student learning and success. NAU, which has a growing presence in the health sciences, currently offers doctoral programs in Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy and masters’ programs in Physician Assistant Studies and Athletic Training at the Phoenix campus. The successful candidate will build and maintain strong relationships with students and faculty in these academic programs. The Health Sciences Librarian may also assist in supporting NAU’s Nursing Program, particularly in the Greater Phoenix area.
- Serve as a full member of the NAU Cline Library staff, working with NAU faculty, students and colleagues located at NAU’s Phoenix Biomedical Campus or at a distance.
- Collaborate with faculty teaching NAU courses, NAU Cline Library colleagues, and others in the design and delivery of teaching and learning support that makes a direct and positive impact on students' successful achievement of course- and program-level student learning outcomes.
- Promote NAU’s institutional repository, OpenKnowledge@NAU, including recruiting faculty to submit content to the repository and working with faculty on open access, data management, and scholarly communication issues.
- Forge partnerships throughout NAU programs at the Phoenix Biomedical Campus while collaborating to define and solve problems in a changing information environment.
- Help NAU Cline Library and Arizona Health Sciences Library colleagues understand the needs of NAU programs, students, faculty and staff. Identify and respond to trends, sharing perspectives and knowledge about the campus, programs, curricula and student learning outcomes.
- Contribute to NAU Cline Library's planning and assessment processes. Provide leadership, planning, development, and evaluation of library resources and services at AHSL-Phoenix, as well as technologies that further library and institutional goals.
- Identify relevant events and activities of the programs and related student clubs that may increase awareness of academic programs and opportunities for learning support.
- Contribute to cross-departmental and cross-institutional work at NAU Cline Library and the University of Arizona.
- Contribute to public services at AHSL-Phoenix and participate in other activities in coordination with the AHSL-Phoenix Library Director. Provide excellent customer service during interactions and proactively learn and maintain skills to meet changing expectations.
- Participate in cross-institution project groups.
- Use knowledge and skills to achieve institutional goals. Assist with program reviews, grants, and related work with NAU health sciences programs in Phoenix. Employ user-centered assessment and evidence-based decision-making for continuous improvement. Identify ways to demonstrate the library's value and increase awareness of resources and services.
- Participate in evaluation and selection of resources and access to information, including assessing how effectively information resources meet user needs. Monitor trends in research, publishing and scholarly communication.
- Identify and pursue professional development and service opportunities that reflect a commitment to learning, innovation, and excellence in higher education and libraries. Share and integrate what is learned in ways that benefit users, colleagues, and the profession. Share and integrate what is contributed in ways that benefit users, the library, the university, or communities (local, national or international).
- ALA-accredited Master of Library Science/Master of Library and Information Science or equivalent graduate degree in a relevant field.
- Knowledge or background (coursework, degree or experience) in the health sciences or health care environment.
- Experience in a health sciences library or providing library services and support for health science programs.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and evaluate learning outcomes, collaborate with faculty to continuously improve assignments, and embed library content and support into curricula, courses, and assignments.
- Demonstrated experience working in and across groups, organizations, or institutions with the goal of shared success.
- Demonstrated experience functioning in a matrix environment in which staff may report, directly or indirectly, to multiple managers.
- Experience working with faculty, students, and colleagues in a multicultural learning and working environment.
- Familiarity with applications that support or enhance online learning environments such as Blackboard Learn, LibGuides, and Camtasia.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and balance various responsibilities and focus on high impact work.
- Experience leading, managing, assessing and delivering complex work or team-based projects.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to a collegial academic environment with library colleagues, students, faculty and staff.
- Experience evaluating and enhancing services and operations.
- AHIP (Academy of Health Information Professionals) membership or provisional credential.
General Information (This section includes information about the University or the specific department or program, and background checking requirements. All job duties should be included in the Job Description section)
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check. Additionally, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
$54,000 - $57,000 annually, depending on experience.
This position will be open until filled or closed. Review of applications will begin on _______
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply Now" button on this page. For consideration for this position, submit ONE PDF or Word file including (1) a cover letter, (2) a curriculum vitae (including a current e-email address), and (3) a list of at least 3 professional references. If you have questions about your application materials, contact Cline Library at Library.Administration@nau.edu
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples. Form A-1