Job Title: Librarian, Business Services
Reports To: Library Manager
Location: Harmony Library
FLSA Status: Exempt
Job Classification: Classified
Salary Range: $51,095/Annually
Performs professional library services using research and communication to link customers with resources. Serves as an information advocate and innovative forward thinker who inspires learning, discovery and the development of 21st century skills for staff, volunteers, and the community. Offers a variety of programming, content creation, and preservation. Inspires lifelong learning, collaboration, and advocates for the library in support of the library’s goals and mission. Emphasis for this position is on adult and business services.
Essential Duties: Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area which may include, but are not limited to any combination of the following tasks:
- Provides and models exceptional customer service by demonstrating an approachable, friendly demeanor. Provides service in an efficient and timely manner. Provides responsive, courteous service to all customers, regardless of age, race, class, gender, appearance or ability.
- Assists customers in the use and navigation of library materials, resources, and technologies.
- Provides in-depth reference services to locate reliable information and specific materials for customers.
- Plans, coordinates, delivers and evaluates informative and relevant public programs. May collaborate with staff, community agencies, or contractors in order to leverage the library’s reach and/ or mission.
- Delivers programs to audiences within the library and at organizations within the branch’s service area. Collaborates with schools, agencies or community groups to promote library services, resources and programs.
- Assists the library manager with managerial duties including assisting and training staff, resolving customer disputes and acting as person in charge.
- Recommends additions to and removal of items from the collection in order to keep collection appealing, current and relevant to the community.
- Takes a leadership role in coordinating various teams and districtwide initiatives. Participates on teams and committees.
- Plans and directs staff development programs.
- Provides effective readers’ advisory for all readers using adept communication skills, readers’ advisory tools, and personal knowledge of books and authors.
- Directs and oversees the work of volunteers and hourly staff.
- Communicates library policies and procedures to customers.
- Performs duties in a manner consistent with the Library’s mission, goals, and objectives.
- Assists customers with circulation functions which include, but are not limited to, issuing and updating library cards, placing holds, and addressing account problems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Duties Related to Business Services:
- Develops and maintains the library’s business collection of books and electronic resources.
- Serves as a liaison to the business community and to organizations and governmental entities that support local economic development. For example, offers tours and instruction in the use of relevant resources for investment groups, job seekers, and small business owners.
- May serve as a member of governmental and non-governmental groups that support local economic development.
- Promotes the Library’s business resources through newsletters, press releases, and presence at public events.
- Raises the profile of the library and informs the public of the important economic role of the public library.
- Seeks strategic partnerships with community organizations that promote start up and new businesses such as the Small Business Development Center.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of library policies, best practices, trends, theories, values and issues.\
- Knowledge of current and emerging models, practices, and tools used by public libraries for the access and discoverability of resources.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office products and other relevant technologies, Internet navigation, social media outlets and Integrated Library Systems (ILS) software.
- Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude, excellent interpersonal skills, cultural sensitivity, and a sense of humor in working with customers, coworkers and community.
- Able to understand and use library resources, both digital and physical, with proven ability to research, retrieve, evaluate, and utilize information.
- Able to provide leadership and embrace risk taking, innovation, collaboration and change.
- Able to listen, communicate and positively interact with internal and external customers.
- Able to analyze, take ownership and resolve requests and issues using critical thinking skills.
- Able to lead, coordinate and manage special projects and initiatives.
- Able to gather, interpret and analyze data to inform decisions.
- Able to present programs to a variety of audiences.
- Able to create and manage a budget.
- Able to operate with minimum supervision and work independently as well as cooperatively in a team environment.
- Able to manage projects by applying critical thinking and analytical problem solving skills.
- Able to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Able to foster a nonjudgmental, supportive environment for a diverse population of users by using patience and effective communication to assure a positive customer experience.
- Able to work a flexible schedule, including night and weekend shifts.
Education and Experience: Master's degree in library science from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited university or equivalent required. Two years of related work experience in a library is preferred. Business experience is preferred.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. Fluency in English is required. Fluency in Spanish is desirable.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Licensing, Certifications and Other Requirements:
Valid driver’s license required.
Supervises substitute librarians and substitute library assistants, including scheduling and coaching on industry best practices. Makes recommendations on personnel matters affecting subordinates, including interviewing applicants, hiring new employees, evaluating performance, and taking corrective action. Assists in the compilation and reporting of statistics.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed and/or required to:
- Work primarily in a library environment and sometimes in community settings.
- Regularly sit, stand, walk, use hands to handle or feel, lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, talk and hear.
- Regularly reach, lift and move arms above shoulder level.
- Occasionally bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl climb or balance.
- Occasionally lift and/or move materials weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Concentrate on and complete tasks in the presence of distractions.
- Regularly operate a variety of standard office equipment including a computer, laptop and/or tablet PC, telephone, e-reader, calculator, cash register, bar code reader and copy machine.
- Continuous and repetitive arm, hand and eye movement.
- Moderate to loud noise levels.
- Travel to/from meetings and various locations.
- Work a varied schedule at various locations, including weekends and evenings.
Apply online at https://www.poudrelibraries.org/jobs/
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.